Friday, July 13, 2007

Do you Buntu?




While I've gotten around to updating my blog, I wanted to mention my successful transition to Ubuntu Linux. For those of you dreading the upgrade to Vista and are of an experimental nature, I highly recommend giving Ubuntu a try. It's becoming the most prime-time ready "distribution" (expert collection of open-source programs/utilities/extras) out there. Personally, I went with the UbuntuStudio, which includes a bunch of audio/video/art based applications. However, the most important thing to understand is that the software is FREE (well, the developers would probably like you to know that it's not free, it's "donor supported"). Regardless, I've been using Linux now for about 4 months and I'm very happy with the outcome. Dare I say that I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. I still have Windows XP set-up, all I have to do is restart and select Windows XP, though truthfully I can do everything I need to do on Linux and not have to worry about the vast majority of the bugs/security hole and just bloated inefficiencies of Windows. Ubuntu tells me when updates are necessary and it does so without having to restart the computer, or even stop what I'm doing, aside from clicking "install updates" and my password.

On top of all this, it looks great, has the cool 3D desktop effects (wobbly windows, burning, shimmering, shrinking menus, etc.). I love Linux, and I like that it's empowering this entrepreneurial instinct in me, showing me how to turn a computer into a server, media workstation, cross-platform device, and I can even see myself creating some unique Linux powered devices someday. Finally, there is a massive built in repository of additional sowtware to play around with, anything from children's edutainment to complex physics/chemistry/mathematics simulators. All for free, including future upgrades.

No comments: